What is Henri Fayol's Administrative Management Theory?
In the field of management, managers are accountable and responsible for several activities. Nowadays, managers have access to different resources that can be used in order to enhance and/or develop their skills. But have you ever thought how those mangers were leading organisations 100 years ago? However, managers in early 1900’s had a limited number of external resources to develop or improve their management practice.
But thanks to Henri Fayol’s Administrative Management Theory, which allowed managers to get the tools that were required to manage and lead more effectively. It can be said that Fayol and other theorists like him are responsible for the basis of modern management theory.
Background Details to Henri Fayol's Administrative Management Theory
Henri Fayol developed the Administrative Management Theory. He was born in Istanbul in 1841. At the age of 19, he started to work as an engineer at a mining company located in France. Eventually, he was appointed as the director of the company when the company employed 1,000+ people.
During these years, he started developing the 14 key principles of management. These principles explained the ways in which managers should interact and organize the staffs.
In the year 1916, around two years before appointing as the director, he promulgated his "14 important Principles of Management" in his book "Administration Industrielle et Générale." Also, he published 6 primary functions of management.
Henry Fayol's Administrative Management Theory is said as one of the earliest management theories, and it is also one of the most important management theories. With these Principles of Management and primary functions of management, he is now considered as one of the most influential contributors in the field of modern concept of management.
However, here are 14 principles of management discussed by our management assignment help experts:
14 Principles of Management by Henry Fayol
Henri Fayol is known as the “father of modern management theory”. He developed a new perception for the management concepts. He released a general management theory which can be applied to every management level and in every department. However, the 14 principles of management developed by Henry Fayol are discussed below by our management assignment help experts.
- Division of Work - Henri Fayol considered that separating work in the organisations for workers will improve the product quality. Likewise, he also believed that the separating work as per the employee specialisation will also enhance the worker’s productivity, accuracy, efficiency, and speed. This principle is not only best fit for the managerial but also for the technical work level.
- Responsibility and Authority - Responsibility and authority are the two important aspects of management. Here, responsibility brings responsibility for the assigned work, whereas authority enables the management to perform those tasks efficiently.
- Discipline - We all know the importance of discipline in management. It has been seen that without discipline, tasks cannot be accomplished efficiently and effectively. Therefore, discipline is termed as the core value for any management project. Sensible interrelation and good performance helps in making the management job extensive and easy. In addition to this, employee’s good behaviour assists in building smooth and strong professional relationships.
- Unity of Command - Unity of Command generally states that employees should work under one boss and should follow his/her command. In case, if employees have to work under different bosses and required to follow their orders then there is a possibility that conflict of interest and confusion can be created.
- Unity of Direction - Those who are engaged in the similar activity are required to have a unified goal. In other words, persons working in an organisation should work to accomplish one goal and motive that makes the task easy and attain the desired goal efficiently.
- Subordination of Individual Interest - This principle of Henry Fayol’s of Administrative Management Theory states that an organisation should work together to meet the desired goals and company’s interest rather than personal interest. Henry Fayol says to be subordinate to the organisation’s purposes. It pertain the company’s chain of command.
- Remuneration - Remuneration is one of the most ways to motivate employees. It can be both monetary as well as non-monetary. However, it is given as per the employee’s efforts contributed in accomplishing the company’s goals.
- Centralization - In an organisation, the authority and management plays an important role in decision-making process and should be neutral. Nevertheless, it depends on organisation’s size and level. He said that the division of power and hierarchy should be adequately balanced without any bias.
- Scalar Chain - In this principle of management theory, Henry Fayol says that the series of steps should be flow from top to low. It is important because every employee knows their senior and they are free to get in touch with them anytime, when needed.
- Order - Order discusses the ways to maintain and manage a well-defined work culture and work environment. Having a positive atmosphere within the organisation is quite helpful in boosting positive productivity.
- Equity - Here, Fayol concentrates on treating employees respectfully and equally. Managers are responsible to avoid discrimination among employees.
- Stability - Henry says believes that employees give their best they feel secured about their job. Therefore, it becomes important and necessary for management to provide employee’s job security.
- Initiative - In this management theory, mangers are required to encourage and support employees to take initiatives for tasks. Also, it helps in increasing their interest and making them worth.
- Esprit De Corps - Here, organisations should endeavour to promote and support team unity and spirit. These were the 14 Important Administration Management Principles discovered by Henry Fayol. Few essential details about these principles have been discussed by experts providing best assignment help in Australia. If you want to know more about Henri Fayol's Administrative Management Theory, then choose Online Assignment Expert. Choosing us can be the best option for you and other scholars who have been facing issues in writing assignments. Keep visiting our website to read such interesting and informative blogs.