The health industry is one of the broadest fields to study. Every year, thousands of students are getting enrolled in this field to earn graduate and postgraduate degrees. During their courses, they are asked to write assignments discussing the Bio-psychosocial Model of Health. In today’s blog, our nursing assignment helps experts have discussed the important components, advantages, and disadvantages of the Biopsychosocial model.
Our experts are highly qualified, skilled, talented, and well-versed with the processes to write Bio-psychosocial Model assignments. They have into assignment writing since 2010 and delivered thousands of assignments to scholars who are enrolled at Australian Catholic University, Australian National University, Bond University, CQ University, Charles Sturt University, Deakin University, Flinders University, James Cook University, La Trobe University, UNSW Canberra, University of Technology, Sydney, and more.
Introduction to Health Bio-psychosocial Model
The Biopsychosocial Model has led to the advancement of therapeutic and cost-efficient interdisciplinary pain management programs. This model states that health and illness are defined by a lively interaction between psychological, biological, and social factors. However, the bio-psychosocial health and illness model is explained as a structure created by George L. Engel. This model framework generally states the collaboration between social, psychological, and biological factors that form the manifestation, the cause, and the result of disease and wellness. Previously, a theory like nature vs. nurture says that anyone factor can change development. The bio-psychosocial model developed by George L. Engel argues that only one factor is not sufficient to influence the course of development; it is the relationship between mental health, people’s genetic makeup (biology), and behaviour (psychology), and cultural and social context, which helps determine the course of health-related results.
Biopsychosocial Model of Health
The below-discussed information shows how psychological, biological, and sociological factors correspond to determining health and wellbeing.
Biological influence on health
Biological effect on an individual’s health includes the genetic makeup and history of physical infection and trauma. Several disorders come with a hereditary genetic vulnerability. One of the greatest risk factors for developing schizophrenia is having a first-degree relative with the disease. The risk is 6.5%, and over 40% of monozygotic with schizophrenia are also influenced. If a parent is impacted, then the risk is nearly 13, and when both are affected, the risk becomes around 50%.
Thus, it is clear that genetics plays a vital role in the development of schizophrenia, but also it should be understood that other factors are also at play. Some of the non-biological factors affect the expression of the disorder.
Psychological Influences on Health
The Biopsychosocial model illness psychological factors try to find a psychological foundation for a specific array of symptoms. It includes overwhelming sadness, irritability, impulsivity, and more. Individuals with genetic vulnerabilities are quite likely to show negative thinking, which locates them at depression risk; psychological factors may aggravate a biological preference by putting a hereditarily susceptible person at-risk behaviours. For instance, depression should not be the reason for liver problems. Still, a person suffering from depression is quite likely to consume alcohol, abuse, and, therefore, damage the liver.
Social factors are involved with socioeconomic status, religion, technology, and culture. For example, if a person loses his job or ends a relationship might be seen as a risk of illness and stress. These types of life events can prompt individuals to develop depression. In return, it contributes to physical health problems. The social factors impact is highly known in mental disorders such as anorexia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa is defined as a disorder considered by purposeful weight loss and excessive despite evidence of low body weight.
Culture might vary as per the geographic range, like from lower-income to higher-income areas, disease rates and illness differ in different communities. According to the epigenetics research, our experts providing nursing assignment help can say that culture might change biology. Explicitly, epigenetics research says that the environment can make changes to the individual’s genetic makeup.
Different Viewpoints Conflicting the Bio-psychosocial Model
Just like other models, the bio-psychosocial model also comes with certain advantages and disadvantages. Some of them are discussed below by the experts delivering academic assistance to university scholars in the Bio-psychosocial model of health assignment. Let’s read them!
- The biopsychosocial model titles the factors influencing healthcare, health, and disease, which are psychological, physiological, and social. It means that it considers the smaller picture of biological problems. Not only this, but it also takes the bigger picture of psychological problems into account. Therefore, the Biopsychosocial model illness considers both the macro and micro viewpoints while analysing a patient.
- The biopsychosocial model avoids considering the health to be an aberration from a few physiological state. As an alternative, this model emphasizes that illness and health result from psychological, biological, and social factors interacting together. Thus, this medical method deals with health just from the physiological viewpoint and focuses on providing healthy development, maintenance, and cure of all three factors.
- This model does not include any concrete description for diseases that are generally caused without any deceptive physiological reason—for example, psychosomatic disorders. Yet, evaluating the interaction of the key three factors in detail can describe the ways in which and why social factors or psychological disorders might result in physiological problems.
- The Biopsychosocial model illness undertakes that all mental illnesses are biopsychosocial. Few critics say that undertaking each mental illness as biopsychosocial generally enhances the stigma associated with these disorders. Lets’ say that that the effect of society results and physical injuries in each mental illness is not practical, and if it is supposed, it might lead to confusing treatment.
- Few discussions feel that incorrect behaviour like anti-social behaviour cannot be cured as a medical condition. As per the critics, it is also assumed that such type of behaviour minimizes the integrity of psychiatry, as it looks irrational to categorize schizophrenia.
- Another disadvantage of the biopsychosocial model explained by our assignment help Australia expert is that it is quite difficult to understand this model to psychiatry students despite intensive efforts. The three-fold approach does not influence some students. Also, they do not agree on the usefulness and/or credibility.
- One more disadvantage discussed by our nursing assignment help for this model is that – for a new user, understanding this model can be quite confusing and can mislead while using. The model is elusively likely to recommend that psychology and biology are two different fields in medicine. It can lead to consequences and misunderstandings for a new user of this model.
These were the common criticism and advocacy of the Biopsychosocial model of health discussed by our experts providing help in nursing assignments. If you are a student and want to know more about this model or its related assignments, you may get in touch with an Online Assignment Expert.
What are the benefits available with an Online Assignment Expert?
Online Assignment Expert is popularly known among Australian university students as we provide unique, errorless, and on-time delivery of assignments. Apart from this, several outstanding services and benefits make us the best in the industry. Let’s take a highlight of them –
- Choose your preferred experts
- Downloading samples
- Enjoy unlimited revisions
- Assignment writing help
- Dissertation help
- Help in online quizzes and online exams
- Proofreading and editing
To get a complete list of our services and benefits, you may reach us through a phone call, email, or live chat.